Graphic Design Internship
Vera Creative is a human-centered creative agency that shapes the future of social equity with innovative marketing, design, strategic communication, and community engagement.
Empathy, insight, and a penchant for growth—it’s a lifestyle. We take a purpose-driven approach in our partnerships, in the way we create, and the way we serve. We bring people together to harness the power to strategically achieve clear and ambitious goals.
Whether we’re working with a government agency, a non-profit, or a commercial business—our value goes beyond what your typical agency offers because we design with people, not for people.
We align the goals of our clients with the community’s goals for good. Our creative content development and marketing strategy flow like water. Sustainably simple, successfully connecting the message with audiences that are otherwise hard to reach. At the end of the day, we remain future-facing while keeping our finger on the pulse. Because we don’t just bring brands to the culture; we build a culture around brands.
- This is a part-time paid internship based out of our Chicago office (Lincoln Park).
- The ideal candidate is a strong creative copywriter with some experience and a deep interest in marketing and advertising communications.
- Available 15-20 hours a week.
- The internship will last 6 weeks with the opportunity to join the team afterward.
- Our ideal candidate is a go-getter, a self-starter, and a “people person”.
We’re looking for someone with aligned values who’s down to align with our vision to build upon the impact we make through the work that we do. This role will instead be a stepping stone toward carving out a role for yourself in one of Chicago’s top emerging creative agencies with the opportunity to transition into a full-time role following the conclusion of the internship. A Graphic Designer Intern should be passionate about collaboration, focused, and willing to do what it takes to complete projects in a timely manner.
Graphic Design Qualifications
- The more relevant graphic design experience the better.
- Adobe Creative Suite Skills (Photoshop, Illustration, InDesign).
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, and produce exceptional designs for assigned projects.
- Understanding of color theory and its use in design.
- Ability to demonstrate artistic, typographic, and layout skills.
- Be able to back up and defend your work with design-related rationale.
- Ability to grow and learn under the guidance of the creative director.
- Maintain and organize creative assets and design files in the internal shared drive.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A true student of your craft.
- Front end development skills.
- Digital illustration experience.
- Animation abilities.
- Communication is key. We’ll need you to come to the table with strong verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal skills. You’re expected to practice proactive communication every step of the way.
- You’ve got a knack for making consistently great decisions on your feet.
- You’ve got acute attention to detail and a strong work ethic.
- You possess a general understanding of the advertising industry, including basic industry terms, trends and tactics.
- You’re self-motivated and interested in learning more about the business of advertising and how it relates to the goals of Vera clients, and your craft.
- You’re interested in learning more about the business of advertising and how it relates to the goals of Vera, our clients, and UI design.
- You’re ambitious in your craft. Not only are you a student-of-the game, but you practice humility.
- Analytical and critical thinking is second nature for you.
- You possess the ability to problem-solve, take action, and react in a professional manner while under pressure.
- You’re proficient in working with G-suite applications, especially Docs and Sheets (spreadsheets).
- Create engaging, print and digital (social, web, email) assets with an emphasis on visual storytelling.
- Collaborate with the creative team to define and design innovative solutions for a wide range of web projects.
- Possess an ability to remove personal ego from the design process to design with people, not for people.
- Execute vision provided by leadership, ensure quality control, and produce in a timely manner
- Turn data from research reports into compelling visual stories.
- Work closely with our designer, creative director, copywriter, the rest of our team, as well as work independently to provide creative, strategically sound solutions for the client, the Vera Creative brand, and other Vera related projects.
- Provide opportunities to elevate our visual presence on social media while maintaining brand consistency.
- Create print marketing materials such as flyers, banners, bus ads, billboards, and more.
- Create digital assets such as web assets, social posts/stories, presentation decks, email newsletter layout, and more.
Show us what you’ve got!
Show us what you’ve got! Portfolio submissions strongly encouraged.
Apply and upload or link your portfolio using the form below.
Come as you are
Vera Creative is a progressive, open-minded meritocracy that puts people and equity first. Vera Creative is also an equal opportunity employer provider and committed to creating a diverse environment. Vera Creative considers all applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital and family status, disabilities, sexual orientation or preference, veteran status, or any other classification protected by state, federal, or local law.